Featured Post

Hoopa Doopa Valley Children's book , watercolor illustrations

  All three of the Hoopa Doopa Valley books are now available at Amazon.com! My aunt and I worked together to create this wonderful trilogy ...

Thursday, June 15, 2017

Ice skating on the frozen canal


©SandraJessop, Ice Skating in Hindeloopen, watercolor, 8x10

"Hallo!  Goedendag."

This week I remembered seeing pictures of people skating in frozen canals somewhere in northern Europe.  I searched images for different countries but couldn't find what I was looking for.  As usual I sketched a bunch of ideas from things I did see of Hindeloopen, Netherlands, and eventually worked out this idea of two skaters near a bridge.  Besides being a picturesque location, it was also fun to say as I drew: Hindeloopen. Try it.

I knew I wanted the colors to be very light and feel like the aurora borealis in pink, gold, blue and violet.  When consulting with my daughter as to which of the drawings she most wanted to see painted, she chose the bridge and said to be sure to include a horse.  I was sort of leaning towards a windmill myself, but I like the way this turned out.


For ice skating illustrations from last year try these:

http://azureviewart.blogspot.com/2016/02/winter-ice-skating.html

http://azureviewart.blogspot.com/2016/01/spin-for-illustration-friday.html

No comments: