Featured Post

Hoopa Doopa Valley Children's book , watercolor illustrations

  All three of the Hoopa Doopa Valley books are now available at Amazon.com! My aunt and I worked together to create this wonderful trilogy ...

Wednesday, September 13, 2017

Watercolor hummingbird using a bamboo brush

SandraJessop, Azure View Art

Here's a playful little watercolor I did today on scrap paper (the other side has a landscape I wasn't satisfied with).  With the exception of the beak, the whole thing was painted using an old bamboo brush, a gift from a co-worker at the pottery studio where I worked.  Every now and then I go back to painting in this style for two reasons.  One: It's easy for me.  Since I spent so many years painting that way I don't think about it and that feels good.  Two: It's relaxing.  I've found it's a great way for me to loosen up and simplify my approach to the subject.  Traditionally the bamboo brush should be held very lightly and be used in a fluid motion.  It is a meditation and helps me  focus.


No comments: